Writers in the Attic 2018: SONG
We sing in the shower. We hum in the rain. We serenade our pets and family members while cooking dinner, or cleaning house, or driving cross-country. Soundtracks trigger the waterworks and signal goosebumps at the movie theater. Many of us have personal theme songs, favorite love songs — we use music to pump ourselves up and to calm ourselves down. We tell stories orally and often through song: to celebrate and to protest and to praise!
Warble a story that contains some element of the magic of music. Feel free to channel Beyoncé or croon off-key. We just want you to belt it and burst it in a 1500 words-or-less poem or prose piece containing, somehow, the element of Song.
The Cabin is now accepting submissions for the seventh annual Writers in the Attic writing competition. Idaho poets, fiction, and nonfiction writers are encouraged to send their work on the one-word theme, SONG. Entries will be accepted through 5 pm, Monday, March 12, 2018. Work will be blind judged by a local literary notable and the selected works will be published as part of the Writers in the Attic 2018 anthology. Entry fee: $15 per author or $10 for current Cabin members. One entry fee per author. Submit online at https://thecabin.submittable.com
- Poems, fiction, and nonfiction must apply, abstractly or literally, to the theme SONG.
- Entries must be no longer than 1,500 words, not including title.
- Do not include any photos, images or illustrations in your submission.
- Submissions must be typed, Times New Roman, 12 pt., and double-spaced for prose, with only one space after each period.
- To allow for blind judging, do not include personal information such as name, address, or phone number on the manuscript
- Do not submit PDFs. We only accept submissions in Microsoft Word.
- Entry fee: $15 per author or $10 for current Cabin members.
- Entry fee covers up to 3 poems or stories per author. Each poem or story will be considered separately for publication.
- Submissions must be received before 5 pm, Monday, March 12, 2018
- Submit online at https://thecabin.submittable.com/submit
- This is the last year we will accept any paper submissions. We would love to help you submit online – visit us at The Cabin and we will help you with the online process. Be sure to bring your submissions in on a flash drive, or email them to us if you plan to have us help. All submissions must be in Microsoft Word formatting. No PDFs please.
Note: Authors will be notified by email as to whether or not their work was chosen for inclusion in the anthology four months from the deadline date (in July 2018). Questions? Call (208) 331-8000 or email email@example.com .